Saturday, September 25, 2010

Dude Looks like a Lady

Homosexuals are not openly accepted in Indian society.  Ironically, the cross dressing variety are some of the better paid members of society.   They work the traffic lights,  just like the beggars do, moving from vehicle to vehicle.   Unlike the beggars,  everyone gives them money. 

I was amazed when I first saw this.  I thought they were women dressed in Saris,  until I saw a 5 o'clock shadow and Adam's apple.  I've never seen anyone give money to a beggar,  but everyone gave to the gays.  Even our driver had a few rupees ready.  When asked why,  he explained if people don't give,  the gays will 'make trouble'.  Trouble means kissing a man or lifting up their Sari and dancing.  They can make 1500 rupees a day -- about 3 times that of our highly skilled english speaking and writing driver.  I'm told they can make even more in the red-light district.  Then I stopped asking questions. 

1 comment:

  1. Blonde and blue eyed guy, sounds like you're leaving some rupees on the table. Here's an opportunity to get out of the house and make some money once the kids are off to school. Let me know what it's like to walk through traffic in India and hear cat calls in German.

    ReplyDelete